Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Japan - Punk Spring

This past weekend I went to the Punk Spring, punk rock music festival at Makuhari Messe in Chiba. Some of the bands that played are Sum 41, NOFX, Bad Religion.

The music festival was a really great time and I enjoyed all of bands that I saw. It was a huge crowd, I don’t think I’ve seen crowds the huge at a punk concert before. I was up towards the front most of the time and it was pretty packed. The crowd was doing some shoving, but not too crazy. I went into the mosh pit a bunch of times and it was pretty mellow compared to some in the US. People were just banging into each other and having a good time. Sometimes the mosh pits in the US get a bit hard core with people trying to hurt each other…those are no fun.

But I still managed to get banged up a bit, I think mostly because I was taller than most everybody around me, so my head stuck up. This is great for being able to see the concert, but bad because my head created an obstacle for the people who were crowd-surfing to run into. So, I was kicked in the side if the head by one crowd surfer. Smacked into by many more. And I think I broke my nose when another crowd surfer hit me from behind and caused my face to slam into the back of the head of the girl that was in front of me.

Towards the end of the concert some of the guys around me thought it would be funny to see me crowd surf (or maybe they were tired of me blocking their view), so they grabbed me and put me on top of the crowd to crowd surf. I thought for sure I was going to get dropped on my head, but I made it to the front of the stage. I’m way too big to be doing that kind of thing and I feel sorry for all of the people I squished.



No comments:

Post a Comment